buttons

Monday, March 5, 2012

Toni & Guy Fantasy Mannequin

The fantasy mannequin competition is something that all of the Toni & Guy students who are in their sophomore phase must participate in. The whole class took a little field trip to Hobby Lobby, and some of the professional beauty supply stores in Abq and bought some supplies. I knew that I wanted to do something Edward Scissorhands-y - inspired by the character and the movie. What I didn't want to do was dress my mannequin up as Edward Scissorhands. The competition is all about the hair, and it would've been really easy to get caught up in trying to make my mannequin look like Johnny Depp. 

Originally I wanted to do both an ice sculpture and a shrub sculpture in the hair, but as I started playing with it, I realized that that would have been biting off way more than I could chew, especially since I had never done anything like this before. 

I decided to go with a bird bath shrub sculpted in the hair. I think what really gives it that Tim Burton feel is the hair curled up at the top of the bath sprouting out as "water". I pinned the hair below the sculpture up so that the ends still hung down to give it more of the Scissorhand feel. I also spray colored it black. 

The makeup was actually one of the most challenging parts. I bought some costume makeup at Party City that was made to go on flesh not on plastic mannequin face... 
I opted for more of an interpretation to Ed's makeup as opposed to more literal simply because it was giving me such a hard time : ). 

I'm so proud of how it turned out, and so happy that I won first place! Behold my fantasy mannequin:









No comments:

Post a Comment