buttons

Monday, December 12, 2011

Candlelight

Another tradition for us at Christmas time is the Candlelight service at our church here in Albuquerque. 
That is something that I look forward to immensely. Everyone dresses to the nines, and they bring the whole family. It doesn't matter if you "go to church"...you come to candlelight. Our music department starts working on the music for this service before Thanksgiving, and the music is spectacular.
Every year that we are in town, of course we go, and I am a ball of tears the entire service. It's a time to reflect, and listen to the words. To see people you haven't seen in years and reconnect. It's by far my favorite service of the year. 

I remember as I kid, I couldn't wait to hold a candle! You have to be 12, and so for a while there I was out of luck. My dad would let me semi hold his, but it wasn't the same... Year 12 came and I was beyond stoked to get my own candle. 


They hand them out at the doors before the service, and after all the special music, our pastor and his family go up to the front, pray, light their candles and then start passing the flame. It's breathtaking to see candles start lighting everywhere and the room is literally a glow with candlelight. We all sing the classic Christmas songs like Silent Night, and O Holy Night with our candles lit. It's truly a magical night.


I'm sad we won't be here for Candlelight this year, but the bonus is we'll get to be with our Oregon family and partake in the Christmas traditions there. 
13 Days!

P.S. Write after I posted this, I saw this video from our church all about candelight. I think it's pretty much gold, so check it out. 

P.S.S They changed the age to 13! Oh man, I would've been so pissed!

No comments:

Post a Comment